Building Tomorrow’s World Today
What we do
Together, we have the skills and the scale to build world-changing, sustainable living solutions effectively and efficiently. We work with governments, NGOs and private sector companies to deliver sustainable projects globally that stand the test of time. We believe in a world that nourishes and nurtures its communities – that’s why we devise and deliver projects that improve people’s lives and enable them to thrive for generations to come.
How we do it
SHS brings together a wide-range of skills and innovative technologies to create affordable, sustainable living solutions for the developing world. This combines a range of core capabilities: housing, energy, water and disease prevention.
Communities all over the world urgently need safe, affordable housing. Responding to this, SHS combines cutting-edge, sustainable building techniques to deliver housing solutions at rapid speed and massive scale. To achieve it, we use Baupanel Technology, which allows us to build in record time. In doing so, we are able to answer some the biggest challenges that face the developing world.
How we do it:
• We use Baupanel Technology, an eco-friendly building solution that creates low-cost, safe structures at speed. Baupanel is an integrated structural system that is seismic resistant, thermally acoustically insulated, and is based on a set of structural panels The Bau technology was created under the leadership of top engineers and universities across the world for the Expanded Polystyrene Systems (EPS) and has been accredited by both governments and leading institutions such as the London Underground.
• We run Suite Living, which delivers secure, cost-effective student friendly environments. Created out of the realisation that hundreds of thousands of students globally are living in sub- standard accommodation as a result of landlord’s negligence, Suite Living offers safe living campuses to enhance student productivity and university experiences.
• Bau Lifestyle is our lifestyle company that fulfils the needs and desires of home buyers and developers to furnish
residential, hotels, corporate and other spaces to provide turn- key, stylish pre-packaged home or room setting, complete with furniture solutions to suit any budget.
The inability to access clean and safe drinking water is a fundamental barrier to human progress. Dirty water brings sickness, hinders school attendance and inhibits people from reaching their full potential. That’s why we work with partners to create technology and techniques that increases access to clean water.
We work with:
- Desolenator, a water technology company that makes clean water universally available and affordable. Its integrated patented system combines the thermal and electrical energy from a PV panel, with a process of heat exchange to produce pure water. As such, the Desolenator is completely energy independent. With support from its partners, Desolenator’s projects deliver the technology to vulnerable communities that struggle to access clean water on a daily basis. Desolenator
Working in harmony with the world’s natural energy source, we are able to build green energy solutions directly into housing projects – creating fully integrated and sustainable solutions.
How we do it:
- We run WWRE (Worldwide Renewable Energy), and provide investment in renewable energy sources including Wind, Photo Voltaic, Waste to Energy and Tidal. All projects enhance local communities sustainability, whilst at the same time we are assisting small island nations to become 100% self-sufficient in the generation of energy.
- We work with MYRA Investments, a firm dedicated to managing, investment and directing capital into renewable energy power generation projects in emerging markets. MYRA Investments,
We work with:
- VectorCide is an innovative coating which can be applied to buildings to protect people from insects carrying diseases such as malaria and Zika. The Vectorcide coating is tested by The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and case studies include application to the wall of mud huts in Zambia and reported success of the product.
SHS currently addresses 7 out of the 17 UN sustainable goals
Good Health and Wellbeing
Clean Water and Sanitation
Affordable and Clean Energy
Decent Work and Economic Growth
Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Sustainable Cities and Communities
Partnerships to achieve the Goals
Nigeria’s Ekiti State will join one of the largest affordable housing initiatives in the world, following a new agreement that will see at least 50,000 affordable homes built by Sustainable Housing Solutions (SHS) and partners UNOPS over the next decade. The...read more
The Habitat Heights housing development in Kenya was officially launched by President Uhuru Kenyatta, at a large-scale event in which UNOPS and Sustainable Housing Solutions (SHS) were proud to participate in. The development by Afra Holdings will see over 8,000...read more
Vice-President says project will “enable working Ghanaians...to purchase a home”. First 6,500 of 200,000 affordable and sustainable homes to be built in Ghana’s capital Accra. Part of UNOPS Social Impact Investing Initiative which will deliver more than 800,000...read more